Non-traditional Education Programs at U-M
Chair: Derek Collins, Associate Dean, Literature, Science, and the Arts
U-M has much to offer public education in addition to credit-bearing courses for our traditional student body. The popular Saturday Morning Physics program is one example. We have asked this task force to recommend programs that the University might develop to deliver non- credit bearing educational experiences that will extend our public outreach while at the same time generate revenue for the University.
The University of Michigan has a number of important assets that can be brought to bear in delivering public education including:
- the intellectual expertise of its faculty, students and research staff,
- a physical plant that is under-utilized during the spring/summer semesters and during evenings in the fall and winter,
- a large and successful group of alumni many of whom seek enhanced ties to the University,
- visible and well-regarded auxiliary enterprises,
- a wide range of distinctive “public goods” – libraries, museums, gardens and performance venues.
Please email email@example.com with comments, questions, or ideas for the Non-traditional Education Programs at U-M task force.
Summary of ideas submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
Task Force Members:
- Gerald Abrams, Director of Mini-Med Program, Medical School
- Peggy Burns, Assistant Dean for Advancement, Literature, Science, and the Arts
- Ken Fischer, President, University Musical Society
- Christie Nordhielm, Clinical Associate Professor of Marketing, Stephen M. Ross School of Business
- Joe Parker, Senior Associate Athletic Director for Development, Athletics
- Theresa Reid, Executive Director, Arts on Earth
- Kelly Cunningham, Special Counsel to the Provost, Office of the Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs
- Bryan Rogers, Dean, School of Art & Design
- Jerry Sigler, Senior Vice President & CFO, Alumni Association
- Karen Sikkenga, Associate Director, Matthaei Botanical Garden and Nichols Arboretum
- Mary Simoni, Associate Dean, School of Music, Theatre & Dance
Related Task Forces